We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life.But those who make their journey home across time & miles,growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them,are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hands.

--- Kristi Larson

March 20, 2008

Fingerprints, New Friends and Lifebooks

Yesterday I got our State FBI background check sent off. That felt so good. Things are starting to come together, but I still don't know if we will hit our deadline. They said that the FBI checks take 2-3 weeks to get back. Does anyone know if that sounds about right? If so we should be in the dossier-in-office stage within a month.

Another exciting thing is that I connected with another family here in town that is in the exact same place we are with the adoption, and are requesting a little boy the same age! They are using a different agency, but it seems like all the requirements are pretty standard and similar to ours. It would be so cool if we brought our little boys home close to the same time. What a blessing it will be for them to have a friend of their own nationality to grow up with! It was a blast talking with the mom, and we were on the phone for 45 minutes the first time we talked! She knows a lady here who lived in Ethiopia for three years and who knows the Amharic language and how to cook. She said maybe some time in April we can get together with her and cook some Ethiopian food! It would be great to hear Amharic from someone too before we travel. Maybe we can pick up some helpful phrases. I am so thankful that God has provided other ET families here for us to get to know. There are a few more ET families scattered across the state too so we will have to start a little group of some sort for the kiddos.

I've been thinking of starting to put together lifebooks. I don't want my daughter(bio) to feel left out of what a neat experience "lifebooking" can be so I thought while I'm waiting for a referral I will make her one and get some practice under my belt for when I make our little guy's book. Any hints or tips you all have on making lifebooks would be great!

5 comments:

Our journey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Our journey said...

We sent our fingerprints off right after the new year and I was a little worried that it would take longer, because of the holidays just getting over and possible backlogs. We got ours back in 2 1/2 weeks, so the 2-3 weeks sounds just right to me.

How wonderful to make those connections in your town-especially because I know you have talked about how far away you are from a big city. What a blessing from God!

Amy

C said...

Ok it was great talking to you on the phone today, I had no idea how we were on the phone because time just flew. Sorry, I talked so much I am a motor mouth!!!!! It was such a blessing how much our paths have been the same! I lokk forward to this friendship that God has created!!! We are praying for you family. Have a wonderful Easter!

Brian and Autumn said...

We have been waiting 3 weeks and were told to expect a month...

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't know how long you should expect this all to take, but just know we are praying for everything to go smoothly and just exactly the way God wants it to. Hang in there. We're waving our pom poms and cheering for you guys!
~The Chess Family